Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Wondering if I could be pregnant

Wondering if I could be pregnant

Patient: So I have been taking lo loEstrin fe birth control pills for a little over 2 years. I started a new pack about a week ago. The last pack from last month though I have messed up a lot by missing 2 or 3 pills on that pack. But this current pack I am on I haven’t missed a pill. On another note I never take the pill at the exact same time everyday. Last night I had unprotected sex and did not use the pull out method. What are my chances of being pregnant?

Doctor: Hello,Your concern is genuine , as your previous cycle i believe had missed pills and after the menses started you s tarted on fresh pack of pills a week back. Considering that you started the pills on day 1 and having sex on day 8 , it is believed that you are still in your safe period otherwise even if the pills haven’t taken effect in a week( time they take to maintain hormone levels).So , it is unlikely that you would be pregnant as the ovulation has not occurred by now and atleast you are on daily pills and haven’t had any spotting in this period indicating that the pills are effectively maintaining contraception.I hope i have answered your query in detail,wishing you good health,regards