Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Wondering if one loose watery stool effects my birth control

Wondering if one loose watery stool effects my birth control

Patient: I ate dinner at about 5:40 tonight, and took my birth control pill (Yasmin) at about 6:00. Around 6:30, I had a bout of watery loose stool. Is my pill still effective?

Doctor: Thank you for your question. This single episode of a loose bowel movement should not have effected your oral contracept ive’s ability to protect you against unwanted pregnancy. We recommend that you monitor yourself over the next 48 hours to make sure you have not contracted a gastrointestinal infection which could have caused this initial bout of loose stools.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com