Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Work related anxiety

Work related anxiety

Patient: I am a long time powerlifter of an elite level. Recently, through career and life, I have been experiencing bouts of anxiety and stress. Due to that I have experienced minor muscle and strength loss. I have lost 5 pounds over the last week and where I could bench press 315 pounds for an easy 20 reps, I can now do it for a struggling 18. Will my muscle mass and strength return once the anxiety stops or will I never be back to 100% strength? I know this sounds ridiculous to the average person, but the thought of my muscle mass not returning is actually causing me more anxiety. please help?

Symptoms: Anxiety

Doctor: Hello.Welcome to Ask The Doctor.I understand your concern.Following are the causes of weight loss or not able to gain weight at your age:1. Malabsorption syndrome.2. Inadequate diet3. Intestinal Tuberculosis.4. Normal constitution of the body.5. Hyperthyroidism.I would advise following in such scenario:1. To get anti-TTG Antibody test done to rule out Malabsorption syndrome like Celiac disease.2. Upper GI endoscopy3. Ultrasound Abdomen.4. Chest Xray5. Thyroid profile6. Hemogram with ESR.Share my opinion with your Doctor.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy