Working out but not losing weight

Patient

Q: I am a female and I have been working out, intense interval work outs which include a lot of cardio and strength training work outs, 4-5 days a week, for over 5 weeks, and have adjusted my diet to 1400 calories a day with a balance of protein and vegetables and good carbohydrates. I am 27 years old, 5'0, and weight 184. I am trying to get fit and lose weight but I have lost NOTHING! I have no past health issues, what is the problem? What can I do differently? Should I seek medical help and if so what?

Symptoms:  Feeling a bit tired, nothing too crazy, and occasional bloating
Doctor

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

In the initial days of an exercise plan, fat is converted into muscle and weight gain, instead of loss is observed paradoxically. This is disheartening for many, but for the one who sticks to the plan, weight loss is observed soon. A medical advice is a must before any fitness regimen is started. Please discuss the other digestive problems when you see a doctor. Drink plenty of water.

Hope this helps you.