Worried about antibiotic resistance Taking antibiotics for t

Patient

Q: Worried about antibiotic resistance. Taking antibiotics for tonsillitis until Friday, feeling much better

Doctor

Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.com
It is a genuine concern, however depends on a lot of factors like how frequently you use it, which antibiotic are you using currently, and how often you fall sick.

Please give me these details. Sporadic usage of antibiotics 2-3 times a year does not cause any resistance.

Feel free to discuss further,
Regards.

Patient: Hi,
As I have had a few days of down time I have consumed myself by reading up about how bacteria function and the problems that can arise.

It is the first time I think I have ever had to take antibiotics - expect maybe when I was much younger. I am 25. I think for this reason I have these concerns as it is the first time I have had to take them in my memory.

That has given me a bit of peace of mind, so that seems ok!
I am also feeling practically %100 recovered as I started taking the antibiotics Friday. I shall continue and finish off the course.

Thanks
Patient: I am using Penicillin V - Phenoxymethylpenicillin
Doctor: So, in that case you got nothing to worry.
There are patients who take antibiotics almost every month at every episode of cold. Since you rarely use it, you have absolutely no reason to worry about.

Regards.