Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Worried about Pregnancy

Worried about Pregnancy

Patient: I have a question about my birth control and if I’m pregnant. I have been on birth control for about a year and a half and I really wasn’t 100% consistent with taking my birth control every month. Some months I would miss 2 pills back to back, sometimes I would miss one pill and take it the next day with the new pill, and last month I missed 2 pills and took them the next day that I remembered but I had unprotected sex with my boyfriend during my period last month after I had missed this few pills. After I had unprotected sex, I decided to start taking my pills everyday at the same day, I didn’t miss one, or took one late. I got my period this month but it started with brown discharge then changed to blood but it wasn’t as heavy as all my other periods had been. Throughout the month I had symptoms like somewhat sore breasts, gas, some tiredness, and some cramping. About a week before my period came on my breasts weren’t sore anymore but then about 2 days into my period, my breasts started to burn. Like, I could press into my nipple with pressure and after a minute or so it would feel like it’s burning or tingling. I want to know if I could be pregnant from having unprotected sex or I shouldn’t worry about the symptoms I’m having?

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.As you had withdrawal bleeding after having intercourse there is less possibility of pregnancy.Contraceptive pills can causebloating sensation of the abdomen, pain abdomen, breast tenderness etc symptoms as side effects.To achieve complete protection, you have to use the pills regularly. If you miss two pills back to back, you have to use additional contraceptive method for one week.If you are still having doubt regarding pregnancy, please go for urine pregnancy test once.Take care.