Worried about protein intake.

Patient

Q: Hello! I am 19 years old skinny guy with weight 110 pounds of strict vegetarian diet. Considering the fact that my diet did not have sufficient protein intake, I started taking protein supplements (Optimum Nutrition) such that I ensure that my body gets at least of 30g of protein per day. I have been relying on supplements for past 15 days and have noticed a drastic change in my weight and appearance. My current weight is 117 pounds. I am worried about the rate with which I observe changes in my body. I have noticed no side effects and overall notice a sense of well being. My concern here is, is it normal for anyone who hardly had 8-10 g of protein/day is suddenly introduced 30 g / day and observes a weight gain of 7 pounds within 7 days? If its something to worry about, kindly recommend me the diet such that my body gets sufficient protein. Thank You!

Symptoms:  Worried about protein intake.
Doctor

A:   Hello
Thank you posting your query on “Ask the Doctor”.
Protein supplements naturally will increase muscle mass and it is natural to get 6 pounds more with added protein supplement.
The protein requirement for your age is 52gms per day.
10% of daily calories should come from proteins, but it should be less than 35% of daily calories you consume.
Our diet should contain 45% of carbohydrates, 30 % of protein and 25% of fat.
You are advised to have high protein diet but this diet should be balanced enough.
Excess proteins may not always benefit.
pulses, legumes and nuts contain proteins in rich quantity
Wish you a good health.