Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Worried about protein intake.

Worried about protein intake.

Patient: Hello! I am 19 years old skinny guy with weight 110 pounds of strict vegetarian diet. Considering the fact that my diet did not have sufficient protein intake, I started taking protein supplements (Optimum Nutrition) such that I ensure that my body gets at least of 30g of protein per day. I have been relying on supplements for past 15 days and have noticed a drastic change in my weight and appearance. My current weight is 117 pounds. I am worried about the rate with which I observe changes in my body. I have noticed no side effects and overall notice a sense of well being. My concern here is, is it normal for anyone who hardly had 8-10 g of protein/day is suddenly introduced 30 g / day and observes a weight gain of 7 pounds within 7 days? If its something to worry about, kindly recommend me the diet such that my body gets sufficient protein. Thank You!

Symptoms: Worried about protein intake.

Doctor: HelloThank you posting your query on “Ask the Doctor”.Protein supplements naturally will increase muscle mass and i nd it is natural to get 6 pounds more with added protein supplement.The protein requirement for your age is 52gms per day.10% of daily calories should come from proteins, but it should be less than 35% of daily calories you consume.Our diet should contain 45% of carbohydrates, 30 % of protein and 25% of fat.You are advised to have high protein diet but this diet should be balanced enough.Excess proteins may not always benefit.pulses, legumes and nuts contain proteins in rich quantityWish you a good health.