Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Worried about surgery for kyphosis

Worried about surgery for kyphosis

Patient: I’m 14 years old and I just found out that it is very recommended that I have surgery on my back, because i have kyphosis with a 90% tilt. I’m really nervous and have a few questions. 1. Do they knock you out while doing the surgery? 2. Is it extremely painful after the surgery? 3. After, say, 4 months, can I do anything except sit, walk, and lie down?! PS. Its a surgery that involves putting metal rods in….?

Doctor: Surgery to correct kyphosis is highly technical and lengthy. You will be placed under general anesthesia which means you will not be aware of anything happening during the surgery. You do not have to worry.You will be given a number of medications to prevent you from experiencing any pain following surgery. Metal rods will likely be used in addition to other techniques to fuse your spine after the kyphosis is corrected.Recovery time varies depending on the individual and the severity of the kyphosis. However, after 4 months, with physical therapy, you should be able to participate in certain non-strenuous physical activities. While an extensive procedure, surgical correction of kyphosis infrequently has complications. I sure your procedure will go well and you will make a full recovery.