Worried about toenail discolouration

Patient

Q: I noticed this discoloration on mt big toe a few weeks ago and am not sure what it is. It is not painful but I would really like to know what it is and how to treat it. Many thanks

Doctor

A:   It could be a fungal infection of the toe nail which is called onychomycosis. This usually leads to discoloured and brittle nails. It is fairly common and is treated with topical antifungal creams as well as oral antifungal medications. Please consult a physician in person for the same as well as the necessary prescription. All the best.