Worried I may be pregnant

Q: Hi. I had unprotected sex about a week ago and I'm worried that I may be pregnant. I finished my period 8 days ago and had unprotected sex the same day. I took the Plan B pill 2 days later (which I know is later that it should be taken) and then the next day, had unprotected sex again. I am not on birth control. The relatively good news is that, not to be graphic, there was no semen expelled into my vagina, only sort of near it. The thing that is worrying me is that I just got my period again, about 5 days after the last unprotected sex that wasn't followed by the Plan B pill. I'm worried and I don't know when I should take a pregnancy test and not get a false negative. Please help. Thank you.

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

The plan B tablet contains levonorgestrel. The levonorgestrel can cause bleeding and irregularities in periods. You should avoid taking too many Plan B at a time.

I do not recommend that you take more than 1 Plan B during 1 cycle. For now, stop taking the medication and start regular Oral contraceptive pills. The OCPs will help you better than taking Plan B after sex.

You are most likely not pregnant and can take a pregnancy test after 10 days to confirm this. If you periods do not become regular, please see a Doctor.

All the best.