Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Worried I may have had another ovarian cyst.

Worried I may have had another ovarian cyst.

Patient: Suffered with a ruptured ovarian cyst a year and a half ago which resulted in a laparoscopy and foun out 4 weeks after that i was pregnant with my second child. I had two periods back to back a few weeks ago (literally 3-4 days apart, started again after intercourse) so went back to the GP to see what was going on – she sent me for an ultrasound which didn’t show a cyst but fluid. The sonographer said she couldn’t tell me what it was and will send the results to my GP – I am worried as they queried my appendix previously, all this is going on on the right hand side. I feel very, very sick put off food and pain during intercourse what could it be? I am 30 and have two children (the youngest being 7 months old)

Symptoms: Sickness, pain in lower right side, pain during intercourse, extreme tiredness

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern. Intermenstrual spotting can be seen due to causes like during ov ulation or in other days due to hormonal imbalance, pelvic inflammatory disease presenting with cervical erosion etc, post-coital bleeding etc.Pain abdomen, bleeding after intercourse, free fluid in the pelvis, sickness etc are pointing towards the possibility of pelvic infection.So, discuss these things with your doctor and with his advice you canconsult gynecologist once and get examined.By local and pelvic examination, pap smear etc the possible cause of your problem can be identified, the possibility of appendicitis can be assessed and treatment can be planned accordingly.Take care.