Worsening of health due to molds

Patient

Q: Hello, my wife have Thyroid DIs..,4 months ago we move to new house,firs month everything by fine but after she start feel bad,neck pain,breast pain etc.My son(9 years old) when he sleep breading hard and when i in home for long more than 5 hours my eyes is very red.we dont no what happen.everythink start when MOLD in living room and my son bedroom coming out.my question is Can mold cause my wife thyroid problems.my son breading hard and my eyes. thank you

Doctor

A:   Some indoor molds have the potential to produce extremely potent toxins called mycotoxins, which could definately cause the symptoms that you are experiencing. You may experience skin rash and itching, running nose, eye irritation, cough, congestion, and aggravation of asthma. Also, if you have an immune suppression or underlying lung disease, you may be at increased risk for infections from molds. I would recommend that effected areas should be cleaned with water mixed with chlorine bleach to prevent mold growth. Moldy items should be discarded.
You should first consult a family or general health care provider who will decide whether you need referral to a specialist. Such specialists might include an allergist who treats patients with mold allergies or an infectious disease physician who treats mold infections. If an infection is in the lungs, a pulmonary physician might be recommended. Patients who have been exposed to molds in their workplace may be referred to an occupational physician. I hope the information helps, take care.

Related Q&A

Q: Hi I wanted to see if my symptoms might be caused by a food sensitivity. I have a dry itchy flaky scrap, itchy skin ...

Q: Hello doctor I'm living in a very seasonal allergic pollotion city. Last month, I started getting there infections...

Q: I have been scheduled for a drug allergy challenge involving acetaminophen. The center will not have a physician in ...

Q: Hi There, I am an alcoholic. I have been drinking for years heavily (vodka) and then switched to wine to try to tamp...

Q: I am very allergic to shrimp. When a reaction starts I have a severe headache and am nausated and throw up 6-8 hours

 
DOCTOR ADVISORY BOARD
218

Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician
173

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician
138

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist
98

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon
CNN
BBC
MSNBC
CBS
abcNews
FoxNews