Worsening strep throat infection

Q: I acquired strep while on amoxicillin for a sinus infection. Returned to the dr, and was placed on cefzolin. Pain has increased and pus has multiplied. Should I call them again or wait? I'm beginning to get concerned.

A:   The common antibiotics penicillin, erythromycin, amoxicillin and cephalosporins are used to treat strep throat condition. The symptoms of strep throat begin subsiding in four or five days. However if you experience your symptoms are worsening contact your healthcare provider immediately. Precautions you need to take while waiting for the treatment include, hand washing, especially after wiping your nose and before eating or preparing food, make sure to cover your mouth when sneezing or coughing and if possible avoid visiting crowded areas to prevent the spread of infection. Herbal tea and lozenges may also help soothe your throat. It is recommended to avoid drinking cold or very hot beverages and spicy or oily foods to avoid irritation of the throat. Soft diet and liquid foods would be the best diet option with sore throat.