Would smoking a pipe have ANY negative effects on me?

Patient: Good morning, I am a 19 year old male. Very physically active, eat well, not over weight and have been told I am perfectly healthy sense I can remember. I have never smoked anything, drank any alcohol or any of that. So my question is, would there be ANY negative effects in a smoking a pipe (not marijuana or anything like that) every once in a while? maybe once or month or every other month? Thank you.

Symptoms: N/A

Doctor: Welcome to Ask The Doctor.I understand your concern.First of all i would like to appreciate you for maintaining such a good health and keeping yourself away from addictions.I will not advise you at all to smoke pipe even once. The reason behind this is that these things have a very high addiction potential. You won’t even come to know when you have got addicted to this.I have a lot patients fighting with lung cancer and lung problems because they just smoked for a trial in peer pressure and gradually got addicted and progressively got problems.I would strongly advise you to keep your self away from these things.If you have any further query, please ask me.Stay Healthy.