Wound abscess after surgery?

Q: I had undergone a surgery for the excision of a cyst on my armpit 5 months ago.But now i can see a thick white coloured liquid coming out when i put pressure on the wound.Is it a normal situation or how long will it take to heal completely.Will there be any problem if i use deodorants again. Thank You

A:   It is possible that the thick white coloured liquid could be pus draining from an abscess. I would suggest that you see you surgeon for further evaluation and drainage of abscess if required. Also your doctor may need to rule out underlying diabetes which could make you susceptible from a wound infection. Treatment with antibiotics may be necessary if there is presence of a pathogen in the culture. Please refrain from using any deodorants until a diagnosis and treatment has been made.