Wound care

Patient

Q: I just cut my finger with a glass cup. How far do you have to cut the Pinky finger to cause nerve damage. Also how do you know if glass is still in the cut.

Doctor

A:   Once you you cut yourself more than a few millimeters deep, chances are you have done some nerve damage. However, it is unlikley that you have damaged any major nerves that will affect the sensation in your finger, so you need not worry. You may be able to see bits of glass in the wound under good lighting but this is not always possible. If you suspect that there may be glass or any other foreign objects in the wound you should irrigate it thoroughly with clean water (sterile water if you can). You may then apply a dressing. Please not wounds more than a 1/4 inch deep should ideally be sutured (stitched).