Wound on finger starting to peel showing new skin underneath

Patient : I trapped my middle finger in a door two months ago, I had it tapped up by a doctor to heal in the correct position as it was a very uneven and messy cut. I had bandages over it for a few weeks and now I'm allowed to just wear large self adhesive plasters etc to protect it. I let it out in the air every so often and now that it's healed it has started to get very hard, dry and now it is peeling and i can see the skin underneath which is undamaged. Is there anything to worry about? Or do to help the new skin?