Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Wound oozing foul-smelling liquid after tummy tuck

Wound oozing foul-smelling liquid after tummy tuck

Patient: I had a tummy tuck on Dec. 18, 2009 and I still have an open sore about the size of a quarter. It has been draining the whole time but recently it has an odor. I have been showering and putting anti-biotic on. Is there anyelse I can do and is it something I should be concerned about?

Doctor: What you have described seems to be a wound infection. Though the antibiotic ointment will help, it will not be sufficie nt. You need to return to your surgeon so that he/she may confirm the diagnosis and give a you a prescription for antibiotic tablets. In the meantime you should apply a dressing to the wound and keep it dry.