Wrist Discomfort When Pressure on Palm

Patient

Q: For six weeks now, I've been experiencing discomfort in my left wrist (pinky side) when I do certain activities like pushups or bicep curls. Or when I put my right palm on top of my left palm and press upwards with my left palm. What does this sound like to you?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. The description of your symptoms is consistent with and injury to the ulnar nerve. The ulnar nerve innervates muscles of the hand and also is involved with sensation of the hand in the areas of the medial side of the palm including the 3rd to 4th fingers. The ulnar nerve can become entrapped in the area of the wrist, arm, elbow or even shoulder. By your description it is possible that this entrapment is in the area of the wrist and could have been caused during exercise. We recommend that you refrain from exercise until you are thoroughly evaluated by your doctor for this injury. Treatment can include rest, physiotherapy, and wearing a protective wrist brace for some time until this injury heals. Please see your doctor.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com