Wrist pain and discomfort, Lump on the wrist only when angled downward

Q: I have been experiencing pain and discomfort in my wrist. When bending it left, right or upwards and when I bend it downwards and extend my fingers a lump pops up on my carpals near where the metacarpals meet. the lump appears to span across two or three carpal bones diagonally and hurt during any kind of motion of the thumb

Symptoms:  Pain, discomfort, limited movent

A:   Thank you for your question. This painful lump on your rest is characteristic of a ganglion cyst. A ganglion cyst is a non-cancerous swelling of soft tissue that develops on the joints especially the wrist and ankles. It is caused by leakage of synovial fluid from the joint into the tissue spaces on the surface of the joint. These can be very painful and increase be anywhere from 2cm in diameter to larger. They often grow diameter as fluid accumulates. Ganglion cyst can go away on their own without treatment however they commonly need to be surgically removed. We recommend that you have this swelling evaluated by your doctor to determine if surgical removal of it is a safe and effect treatment for you.

Thank you for choosing Askthedoctor.com