Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Y am I bleeding while having sex but I am though the day.

Y am I bleeding while having sex but I am though the day.

Patient: Y am I bleeding while having sex but I am not bleeding through the day just when I am having sex. I have been with my boyfriend nearly 3 years now

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the queryBleeding during a sexual intercourse or immediately following it, could be due to causes l ike vaginal dryness and lack of lubrication during sex, which causes the capillaries to tear and cause bleeding, cervical erosions, cervical infection, polyps, and even precancerous stage of carcinoma cervix.You must consult a gynecologist and get an examination done. The doctor may do a pap smear as well and ask for blood, urine and an ultrasound test to rule out some causes. In case, everything is fine, use a lubricant at intercourse, avoid smoking, if you do so, and avoid unprotected intercourse till the symptom completely stops.Hope this helped.Regards