Yasmin(Yaz) Class Action Lawsuit

Patient

Q:  
I heard there is a class action lawsuit against Yasmin/Yaz birth control pill. I am currently on it. Why is there a lawsuit and should I switch?

Doctor

A:   I can only comment from a medical prospective and not a legal one.  Yasmin (marketed as Yaz) is a birth control pill in North America and is the only oral birth control pills in the United States that contain the progestin drospirenone.  The lawsuits alleges that drospirenone increases the risk of side effects like:

Heart Attack
Stroke
Cardiac Arrhythmias
Gallbladder Disease
Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)
Pulmonary Embolism (PE)
Sudden Death

None of these allegations have been proven in a court of law and I can not find any research to support or deny these claims but I should point out that there is a whole body of scientific research that is conducted and goes unpublished.  The best thing to do is to contact the company and ask for their research studies (a 1-800 number is often located in the product monograph in the package and most companies are happy to supply the studies that resulted in approval of the drug) and discuss with your doctor if Yaz is still the right choice for you.  If you are having no side effects on Yaz currently, there is likely no need to switch but if you wanted to for peace of mind, there are many choices available that work similar to Yasmin.