Yeast Infection in 19 year old

Q: Hello, I am 19 years old and fear I may have a yeast infection. I have never had one before and am not sexually active. I have been experiencing itching for a few days, and redness as well. I assume the redness is due to the itching, but I don't know. No unusual discharge or odour, and it does not burn when I pee. Any ideas? I wonder if it could be an allergy?

A:   Hello, I understand how concerned you are about your probable yeast infection. Candidiasis or Yeast infection is a very common infection in women and is not considered a sexual transmitted disease, it just simply produced by an overgrowth of a fungus that normally lives in the body and is a part of the normal vaginal flora.
It produces an abnormal vaginal discharge that ranges from a slightly watery white discharge to a thick, white, chunky discharge (like cottage cheese); it also produces itching and burning as well as redness and swelling of the vagina. In my opinion the probability of Candidiasis is present; you might want to consider having an appointment with your Gynecologist to rule out this possibility. In the meantime you might want to avoid douching, avoid using feminine hygiene sprays, fragrances, or powders in the genital area, avoid wearing extremely tight fitting pants or shorts, which may cause irritation, wear cotton underwear to decrease sweating in the genital area  which can cause irritation and use pads and not tampons. I wish you a prompt recovery.