Ask The Doctor > Pending > Yeast Infection or Bacterial Vaginosis

Yeast Infection or Bacterial Vaginosis

Patient: I went to the doctor today because I think I have bacterial vaginosis. I had had sex with my boyfriend on Tuesday, and although it wasn’t our first time to have sex, it was our first time together. The sex and foreplay were very rough. For this reason, when I felt swollen, itchy, and had pain urinating, I just assumed it was because of the roughness. However, later that day I had fishy, thick white discharge and knew that something was wrong so I asked my mother if I could go to the doctor.I’m 17, and my mom doesn’t know that I’m sexually active so I couldn’t give the doctor any of the specifics I listed above. She took a 2 second look at the outside of my genital area and then just passed it off as a yeast infection. Did she misdiagnose me due to lack of info? If it’s relevant,in the past week I’ve also taken a warm bath just to relax for about 30 minutes.

Doctor: