Yeast infection sitting in a wet bathing suit

Patient

Q: Hi dr. Could you please answer my question I want to know if I sit in a wet bathing suit for a long time will I get a yeast infection thanks dr hope you can answer this question for me

Doctor

A:   The fungus that causes yeast infections (named Candida) normally lives in the gastrointestinal tract and sometimes the vagina. Normally, Candida causes no symptoms. However, when there are changes in the normal flora of the gastrointestinal tract and vagina (caused by medicines, injury, or stress to the immune system), Candida can overgrow and cause the symptoms. Factors that increase the risk of developing a vaginal yeast infection are antibiotics, hormonal contraceptives (birth control pills), contraceptive devices, weakened immune system, pregnancy, diabetes and sexual activity. Sitting in a wet bathing suit will not increase your risk for developing yeast infection.