Yellow bump on nipple while breastfeeding

Patient: A few months ago I noticed a yellow bump on my left nipple. It hurt like crazy! I squeezed it and white puss came out. I had to squeeze it 3 or 4 times to get it all out. I breast fed my first child until September last year. I am pregnant with my second and haven’t had milk flow for a while. Do you know what it could be?

Yellow bump on nipple while...-1

Doctor: Thank you for your query.Yellow bump on the nipple during pregnancy can be because of colostrum which is known as pr e-milk. This generally comes during the second trimester it is thick yellow at first and as pregnancy reaches term it starts to become pale, colourless and watery. It generally serves as the baby’s first feed before the actual milk starts to flow. There is no need to worry unless the discharge is brown or bloody.Remember and discuss with your doctor when you drop in to the doctor for your routine antenatal check ups.Hope that answers your query.Have a good day.