Yellow jacket stings

Patient

Q: Someone in my family got stung by approximately 15 yellow jackets. They went to the hospital , but now they are having an asthma attack and can't seem to breathe what should we do.

Symptoms:  Wheezing
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Multiple stings can cause an allergic reaction called anaphylaxis. This causes the airways to swell and restrict the flow of air through the trachea and lungs. This would resulting asthma-like wheezing and even complete closure of the airways obstructing the flow of air. We recommend that your family member return to the hospital as these symptoms could be life threatening.

Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com