Yesterday I was constipated but kept having small bowel movements

Patient

Q: Yesterday I was constipated but kept having small bowel movements. The feces was yellowish and furry looking, with a lot of mucus and strings, and some blood. Today, I had projectile diarrhea with more jelly stringy stuff, which I took a photo of, and am extremely lethargic, loss of appetite and some nausea. This seems to be odd. Should I go see doctor or is this just a gastro thing? This isn't the first time I've had blood in stool, it is bright red so fresh.

Yesterday I was constipated...-1
Doctor

Thank you for your medical query at AskTheDoctor.com
I have reviewed the image you shared and it does look like you have an infection.

The bright red blood that you passed is secondary to colitis, mostly from a bacterial infection. However,
I will still suggest you get your stool examined for possible parasites. Some parasites such as hookworm, or tapeworms can also cause similar symptoms.
The vomiting is also indicative of severe indigestion. You need to consult your physician for antibiotics as this needs to be controlled. I recommend an antibiotic like Ciprofloxacin 500 mg twice daily or Metronidazole 400 mg thrice daily for 3-5 days. The etiology sounds more like an infection, hence antibiotic therapy has to be started and you need a prescription for the same. I will also advise Ondansetron SOS to control the nausea and vomiting and you can also take Loperamide SOS to control diarrhoea. These are available OTC.

Please get the stool examined too, and consult your physician for the prescription.

Hope this was helpful,
Feel free to discuss further,
Regards.

Patient: thank you kindly. my biggest fear is parasites. I learned last fall that I am very anemic, and I have read that parasites can cause this. A few years back, I went for colonic and some stuff came out that looked like alphalpha sprouts - totally freaked my out but I was told my the doctor that everyone has parasites. I did not keep the specimen unfortunately, but I will go to a clinic stat. thank you
Doctor: Hello,
Yes, parasites is definitely a possibility.
You need to get your stool examined and you can get back to me after that.

Regards.