Yesterday I was writing for 6hrs (breaks inbetween) for a

Q: Yesterday I was writing for 6hrs (breaks inbetween) for a project and I started getting a numbing sensation in my right thumb and this is the next day and my thumb is still numb what do I do?

Welcome to ATD. Thank you for the query.

It is a very common problem. There are many causes, including constant pressure on the hands and feet, exposure to cold objects, temporary nerve compression, a nerve injury, excessive drinking, smoking, fatigue, lack of activity and nutritional deficiency of vitamin B12 or magnesium.

Usually, numbness that lasts only a few minutes is not a matter of concern, but consult your doctor if you experience it frequently and for long periods. It can be a symptom of an underlying health issue that requires appropriate treatment.

Here are few remedies for numbness in the thumb:-

1. Warm Compress
The first thing you need to do is apply a warm compress on the affected area. It will help increase blood supply to the numb area. Moreover, it will relax the muscles and nerves in the area.
Dip a washcloth in warm water.
Wring out the excess, then place it on the affected area for 5 to 7 minutes.
Repeat several times until the numbness is gone.
You can also enjoy a warm shower or use a heating pad to alleviate discomfort.

2. Massage
Massaging your thumb when numbness occurs is another easy way to deal with this problem. It increases blood circulation, which in turn lessens numbness. Moreover, it helps stimulate the nerves and muscles, thereby improving their overall functioning.
Put some warm olive, coconut or mustard oil on your palm.
Apply it on the numb area.
Massage in circular motions with firm fingers for at least 5 minutes.
Repeat as needed.

3. Exercise
Exercise can improve blood circulation and oxygen to all parts of the body, thus preventing numbness and tingling sensations anywhere in the body. Moreover, regular exercise improves mobility and prevents many health problems.

Hope this helps. Take care.