Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Young erectile dysfunction and anxiety.

Young erectile dysfunction and anxiety.

Patient: I am a 22 year old male. I have struggled with anxiety for about ten years now, and have been on medicine regularly for about 7 of those years. The anxiety itself is very much under control, however I am newly married and sexually active, and the side effects of the medication are very much effecting my performance. Before the meds i still had some problem maintaining an erection, however now it is like 50 50 chance, and if i do achieve, it tends to dissapate quickly resulting in frustration between both my wife and I.I am pretty young, but i have no other health problems other than the anxiety. My main question is would you say i would be able to get a sexual helper like viagra or something that i could take regularly to help with our sexual situation?-Colby

Symptoms: Erection problems, problems achieving and maintaining and finishing.

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for using “Ask The Doctor” for posting your query.Viagra (sildenafil) can help you with your erectile d ysfunction. You need to take 50mg of it 1 hour before sex. However other possibilities if reduction of the dose of antidepressant that you have been on or switching from medicine therapy to non-medicine therapy like Cognitive behavioural therapy. Cognitive behavioural therapy is a specialized counselling therapy. This involves detailed assessment of the thought process of the person and identifies all the cognitive distortions which are leading to anxiety. These cognitive distortions are then modified leading to a tremendous change in the way a person thinks. Ones a thought process is altered, it leads to a change in the way a person feels or behaves. It’s supposed to be as effective as medicines and can be used for anxiety.Do meet your doctor.Hope this helps,Wish you a good health.