Zinc and Magnesium supplements RDA(recommended daily allowance)

Q: My son was told to take supplements of magnesium and zinc. How much is too much and what side effects do these supplements cause a person. My son says he takes 200 mg of magnesium at night and gets a great nights sleep. He was told the zinc and magnesium would give him energy. He is 37 years old in good health. (he was addicted to drugs for 10 years so I am really concerned about him taking any pills)

A:    Magnesium is an essential mineral for many reactions in the body as well as Zinc; the RDA of Magnesium has been established in 300-400 mgs daily, high level of magnesium may produce: cardiovascular disease, joint pains, low stomach acid, depression, diarrhea, dry skin, osteoporosis and cramps. Regarding the Zinc, this is a mineral that your body uses to keep your immune system strong and helps your body heal wounds; the RDA is 11 mgs per day for males, if you take more than 450 mgs a day this may cause: decrease your iron, copper and magnesium levels, reduce your immune functions and reduce your HDL cholesterol (good cholesterol) levels.