ZITHROMAX and JUNEL BIRTH CONTROL

Patient

Q: I have been on Junel birth control for a few years now and I was prescribed Zithromax for a sinus infection a few weeks ago. I finished the five day antibiotic one day after the end of my bc pill pack. I took precautions during my placebo week, took the first 5 pills in my new pack, but then had a momentary lapse of judgement and had unprotected sex for a few minutes before I realized he should probably put a condom on because I might not be protected yet. So technically it had been 11 days since the last antibiotic, but I'd only taken 5 bc pills and I have read numerous places that I should have taken 7 to be protected. What is my risk factor here?

Doctor

A:   I understand your concern about pregnancy risk, let me reassure you that your chances of becoming pregnant are low and you should not worry if you were taking your contraceptive pills daily.
Of course you should know that there are no 100% effective contraceptive methods; however oral contraceptives pills reduce the chances by 98%, therefore there is 2% of patients that will become pregnant even when taking OCP’s. Also, Zithromax would not increase you chance of becoming pregnant. I wish you the best.